Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Interview with J. Q. Rose, author of "Girls Succeed"



Hi Alice. I am so pleased to be your guest today.

Who do you think would like your book? (Or alternately: Please tell
prospective readers why they’d like your book.)


The book is for middle grade girls. After sending the book to many girls’ focus groups, I know they liked learning about careers. I loved reading the feedback from them. Kids are so honest about their feelings.  One gal told me for one chapter to “spice it up a bit.” LOL..You can bet I re-wrote that one for sure!


What is your favorite thing about your story?


My book is not a fictional story, but it is a chapter book with each chapter being about a remarkable, contemporary woman who is successful in her career.  The book is filled with dreams and passion. The dream is to achieve success in a career the woman is passionate about and worked hard to make it come true. I share these stories so girls will see how it is possible to make a dream a reality.


Do you remember how long it took you to write? How about to edit and
find a publisher?


In 2006 I began my quest for women who would be outstanding role models by researching at the library. I made a list in Word Excel of all the areas I would like to include like arts, entertainment, science, business, athletics, and so on and filled in the spreadsheet with their names and mailing addresses. I designed a really cute letterhead, if I say so myself, and toiled over writing a cover letter that would stir them to want to be included in the project. I was thrilled when the postcards began returning to me in the mail with checkmarks in the boxes for “interested in participating in the project.” I immediately sent the respondents a page of questions to return to me and then I called each one for an interview. Yes, complete strangers who were in the project simply because they wanted to inspire and empower girls. Amazing.


It took me two years to finish interviews and polish enough to send to publishers. I soon
learned 2008 was not the time to try and find a publisher for non-fiction children’s books. The economy was crushing the publishing business. Many doors closed and those who stayed open severely limited their book lists. After contacting more than twenty publishers and receiving rejections, I decided the climate was not right for this book.


I kept working on improving the book after receiving helpful feedback from some of the publishers. I was delighted to add a woman scientist who wanted to join in the project.

When I envisioned this project in 2006, I designed it to include resources for girls to learn more about careers which interested them. Not only did I want to include books, magazines, and articles, I also wanted to include live links to websites on the Internet with updated information just a click away for the reader. Unfortunately I was a bit ahead of my time…!! Now my dream has come true to include live links in my indie e-book, so the reader has access to loads of resources for them to learn all about the woman interviewed and her career.


What is your favorite type of book to read? Do you have any favorite
books or authors?


I enjoy all kinds of books to read…easing into werewolves and science fiction stories, but prefer mysteries. Sue Grafton of the M is for Murder series about Kinsey Milhone is what inspired me to actually write mysteries. My latest favorite novel is Water for Elephants…beautifully written with an amazing story line.


Anything interesting in your past you’d care to share? Like have you
ever worked as a rodeo clown, for instance? :)


It was my past job at a girl’s summer residence camp that inspired me to write this book. I worked with so many great young women who were counselors and I loved the girls who were campers. Seeing so much potential in their futures, I wanted to inspire them to reach for their dreams. I was the business director but I did a LOT more than that during camp such as helping to create a fiery torch from sanitary napkins wrapped around a dead tree branch, preparing food in a commercial kitchen for 20-100 guests, transporting campers, food shopping, along with the office work, and anything else necessary to help keep camp running smoothly. I loved this job.

What’s your favorite movie or TV show?


Favorite movie—It’s Complicated
TV Show—Hart of Dixie and Hot in Cleveland


Can readers contact you?


I would love to say hi to readers. My email addy is jqrose02 at gmail dot com


If you were alive in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, etc., did you have any
hairstyles that now make you cringe?


I remember spending an hour “ratting” my hair—now called backcombing. It took lots of hair spray and time to look like that, but it never looked as good as my friend Pamela’s hair!!

Please share a synopsis or blurb, and a brief excerpt from your book.


Blurb




An interactive e-book filled with dreams and passion to inspire, entertain, and empower girls. Fifteen remarkable career women in a variety of occupations share their stories about their work and the path they took to become successful in their careers. Learn about contemporary women who have discovered cures to stamp out disease, made people laugh, earned Olympic and Paralympic gold medals, and crossed the country in the cab of an eighteen wheeler.


Excerpt from Chapter 15—Professional Clown, Brenda Marshall


Brenda Marshall in China

A Big Red Nose
Her first clowning “gig” or job was for the summer Vacation Bible School at her home church.  She borrowed a homemade clown suit that had been a Halloween costume and found some large-sized shoes at the Goodwill store.  She stuck a flower in her four-year-old daughter’s Easter hat and secured it to her head to complete her first costume.  Brenda didn’t have much experience in clown make up, so she just applied the white face paint and drew on her face.  She was a hit.  The children loved her. She was thrilled with the experience. She was bitten by the “clown bug.”
“I didn’t have a clue as to what I was doing, but I knew it felt right,” Brenda said with a twinkle in her eyes.





BOOK LINKS: To download a sample which includes the Table of Contents or purchase Girls Succeed, please use these links.
Smashwords Link http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/241825
Amazon Link  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NY6ZAS
Kobo Link http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Girls-Succeed/book-myLEkD3MME6d8UiRBgthtQ/page1.html?s=lrOG8bTJ60qkeMkE-Y96Vg&r=3
Barnes and Noble Link
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/girls-succeed-jq-rose/1114041658?ean=2940045118033
Sony Link https://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/j-q-rose/girls-succeed-stories-behind-the-careers-of-successful-women/_/R-400000000000000883970
A Study Guide to accompany the book is now available at amazon.com and smashwords.com.
Connect with J.Q. Rose online at
Girls Succeed blog http://girlssucceed.blogspot.com/
J.Q. Rose blog http://www.jqrose.com/
Author website http://jqrose.webs.com/
J. Q.  Rose Amazon Author Page http://tinyurl.com/aeuv4m4

TAG LINE: Inspiring and empowering girls to achieve success in their dream careers.



BIO: After writing feature articles in magazines, newspapers, and online magazines for over fifteen years, J.Q. Rose entered the world of fiction writing with her first published novella, Sunshine Boulevard, released by MuseItUp Publishing in 2011. With Girls Succeed: Stories Behind the Careers of Successful Women she returns to her first love, writing about real people.  Blogging, photography, Pegs and Jokers board games, and travel are the things that keep her out of trouble. Spending winters in Florida with her husband allows Janet the opportunity to enjoy the life of a snowbird. Summer finds her camping and hunting toads, frogs, and salamanders with her four grandsons and granddaughter.

3 comments:

J.Q. Rose said...

Thanks for swapping blogs with me today so I can tell your readers about the Girls Succeed book. Looking forward to your readers visiting my blog for your excerpt from A Girl and the Dragon at http://www.jqrose.com

Lum said...

Thank you so much. :) This was a wonderful opportunity and I feel like I learned something from your interview!!

J.Q. Rose said...

Thank you, Lum, for your kind comment. Glad you stopped by.