Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My pumpkin pie disaster

So, I like to make pumpkin pie. My family won't
eat it unless it's made from canned pumpkin, but
I like it made with fresh pumpkin. It tends to taste
a little bit different from canned, but I don't mind
that.

Well, this year it turned out terrible. I boiled the
pieces of "neck pumpkin" until they were soft, and
then mashed them up and made a pie. (It never
smells very nice while it's boiling. It smells rather
like squash. LOL)

Anyway. I made a pie that looked and tasted
lovely, and lacked the ingredients in normal pie
(wheat, sugar) that I can't eat. It tasted great--
but it was stringy. Sooo stringy. Gag-reflex
stringy.

I had to throw it away. I wasn't even able to eat
half of it. What a waste! It actually had a good
flavor.

Maybe if I'd forced the pumpkin pulp through
a strainer, I could have gotten all the strings out
and it would have turned out perfect....

Live and learn....

But till next Fall, I'll be using canned pumpkin
for pumpkin pies.


~Alice~

2 comments:

Kat Heckenbach said...

I hate to cook, but I do bake now and then. WAY too lazy to use fresh pumpkin, especially since I can buy organic canned :). I've never made pumpkin pie, though. I do make some wicked pumpkin cookies (with chocolate chips!) and I have a recipe for "pumpkin pasties" a la Harry Potter that I intend to try soon!

Lum said...

Your cookies sound delicious!!!!!!!!!!! Yum!! :D