Wednesday, September 17, 2008

the concert... writist?

I've been working heavily on editing lately. I need to remember to make time for writing, too. My dad says writers needs practice the same way concert pianists do -- and concert pianists practice for eight hours a day.

I think he has a point. I know when I don't write for awhile, my skills tend to get rusty. So even though editing is an important part of my writing life right now -- perhaps the most important part -- I still need to write.

I'm working on a couple of writing projects, on and off. The ones I seem to enjoy most are the ones I'm not planning to do anything with. I'm not planning to even let anyone see them. It takes the pressure off. I don't have to wonder what others will think of the characters, plot, or writing.

~ Alice M. Roelke ~

1 comment:

Phy said...

Author Walter Mosley writes every day, seven days a week. It is no wonder that he is prolific. He says that if you don't use it, you lose it. God says we should take a rest. I'll take my chances with a day off here and there, but otherwise, write, write, write.